Writing On Spec

An award caliber procrastinator discovers a new and dangerous pursuit to keep him from actually writing another script. Why another Blog? I love to talk screenwriting. I love to talk story. I live in Richmond, VA. It's almost easier to get produced than find another screenwriter here. We are the anti-LA.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Jumper

I love movies. I love books adapted to movies. I understand that it's really not the same, but something with a very similar concept now in movie format. However, I just *love* Jumper. It's a fantastic book. One of the things that makes this book great is that the main character is the only person who can do what he does --- Teleport.

So... it comes with great dismay when I read the plot on IMDB:

A teenager from an abusive household discovers he can teleport from one place to another. He uses this ability to search for the man he believes is responsible for the death of his mother, drawing the attention of the NSA, and another kid with the same power.

Another kid with the same power? Oh, man. There's even a freakin' sequel for this book in which ONE more person is discovered, and it's NOT another kid.

Now, Steven Gould wrote the book and I'll be the first to admit that it's really all over the place. I wanted to adapt this book many years ago, but somebody from Hollywood beat me to it. I was thrilled when I heard the writers on this film: David Goyer, Simon Kinberg & Jim Uhls (some pretty good writers). But the addition of another kid with the same power is just disheartening.

I'll be hoping that's an early draft and perhaps things have changed since then... I'll still have to go see it because it really does kick immense ass and is perfect movie material. Just curious how it's implemented.

Should anybody happen to have a copy of the script, I sure wouldn't turn down a viewing of it .

If you haven't read the book, you can only get it used now, but it's well worth a read. Both that and the sequel Reflex. You want more movie stuff, he also wrote Wildside. A book about kids that find out their uncle has been travelling back to prehistoric times and is now lost. They then decide to start trapping prehistoric wildlife and bringing it back to our times to sell for profit. Woot! Ka-Ching. Jurrasic park with young entrepreneurs.

ok...after some more research, now I'm getting the feeling it's both Jumper & Reflex combined.... Hmm... more interest in the script...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Steven Gould said...

It's just hard to say what we'll get in the movie, Dave, as I've said before, but the book is still there. Heck, think mini-series, down the road. That's the proper format for adapting a novel, anyway.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 12:27:00 AM EST  
Blogger Dave said...

How bizarre...I'm listening to your interview on kick-ass-mystic-ninjas (http://www.kickassmysticninjas.com/2006/12/07/kamn-se-1-chat-with-steven-gould/).

Really hope it turns great! I've been a reader of yours for some time now, so can't wait to see what comes next.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 12:34:00 AM EST  
Blogger Steven Gould said...

I followed your comment from EatOurBrains about guitars.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 12:41:00 AM EST  
Blogger Dave said...

That clicked right after pressing "publish your comment". Ah, well. It was still pretty funny to see it come in 6 minutes after I posted the entry.

On the funny-side, I still have the e-mail I sent you in 1999 asking to be able to option Jumper or Wildside :) See... I knew the time would come back then!

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 1:16:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home