Writing On Spec

An award caliber procrastinator discovers a new and dangerous pursuit to keep him from actually writing another script. Why another Blog? I love to talk screenwriting. I love to talk story. I live in Richmond, VA. It's almost easier to get produced than find another screenwriter here. We are the anti-LA.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A little kindness goes a long way

I've had this for darn near 15 years. I'd always dreamed of "making it" in screenwriting and getting an opportunity to meet and talk with Jeff. I wanted to make it big and then give back to all the newbies like me.

Alas, he was taken from us in 2000, so I will never get to meet him.

I've spoken about how our writing group had obtained items to auction off to raise money for our group (many years ago). Well, my responsibility was to send out requests to writers to donate scripts - any of their choice.

James Cameron's envelope came back with a wrong address. Phil Alden Robinson rejected the letter. However, Richard Price and Jeffrey Boam both replied with autographed scripts. Jeff's came with the pictured card from his desk. He sent three of his scripts. Richard Price sent a very nicely bound copy of Sea of Love, autographed of course.

I've never forgotten the kindness displayed by those two in what is depicted as such a glitz town with no connection to the outside world. These two took the time to open a letter from some nobody, read it and actually respond.

Today, it's all at once, easier and harder to contact our writing heroes. There are more avenues than ever to get in touch with somebody, yet, due to the abuse from spammers, telemarketers and sycophants, people are more apt to shut off all communication from those they don't recognize.

One of the greatest things I've seen lately is the blog scene. There are many folks making a living in the industry who are taking their time to share their knowledge and friendship with newbies all over the world. I wish more professionals would contribute.

Thanks, Jeff & Richard for your kind responses and taking the time to help the little guys on the opposite coast share a little bit of the dream that is screenwriting. These 15 years later and that kindness is still appreciated.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger William said...

Hello David,

I recently set up a Google Alert for "Richard Price" after seeing The Color of Money on Sunday and an e-mail arrived today with a link to this post. Very cool. I'm always keeping my eyes open for any speaking engagements he might be doing in the city at Barnes and Noble etc. I don't find too many other writers that consider him "up there". I'm definitely one. Anyway, really just found your site and it is very educational. I'm looking forward to going over the archive. Thanks for all the info and taking the time to share.

William

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 at 7:05:00 PM EST  
Blogger Dave said...

hope you enjoy the content.

I've been a fan of Price since the leader of our writing group turned me onto him years ago.

Great writer and, as I said, generous with his time.

Thursday, December 7, 2006 at 5:15:00 PM EST  
Blogger William said...

I recently found this through Kevin Smith's site.

Thursday, December 7, 2006 at 9:11:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home