Writing On Spec

An award caliber procrastinator discovers a new and dangerous pursuit to keep him from actually writing another script. Why another Blog? I love to talk screenwriting. I love to talk story. I live in Richmond, VA. It's almost easier to get produced than find another screenwriter here. We are the anti-LA.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Re-reading (or *69ing the Muse)

I've been an avid reader for years, although declining as of late, but my typical habit has been to read once, then file. I have way too many books, scripts and magazines for my own good. My dream was to have a library (in my home) with tall bookshelves and a big oak (or the like) desk.

I have the books, don't have the actually physical library (much to my wife's displeasure).

Anyway, this is all about the value in re-reading. Books are a tough re-read unless you have the time, but scripts and magazines are great re-reads since they're typically done in a day or less.

I've told you all how I've been stuck in a story I'm trying to write and things haven't been progressing very quickly (still aren't, but keep reading).

Today I was re-reading a Scr(i)pt article about loglines - forget which one - the 2nd in a series of 2. Anyway, the author is talking about how important they are (and they really are - refer to previous article of mine as well) and it struck me -- who my villain really needs to be! Yes. Amazing. Struck by the muse in "my office".

Hasn't solved everything, but it does lend a new slant to the story, which I now have to think through. That's the hateful part. The sitting and daydreaming exactly how that affects the story. I believe it has to be better, since it's makes the story more personal to my main character. Just need the "why". Hate that...

So, go re-read something and see if it doesn't stir up some memories and creative juices!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger wcdixon said...

the value in what you are talking about is that our brain is able to relax and not work so hard on the reading (or rereading) because, in fact, you've read it before. So you are still taking it in and digesting the info - but more of your brain has been freed up to dream, muse, cross reference, free associate, or whatever and begin to discover some of those revelations of which you speak.

Phew...a sentence too long i must say

Monday, September 11, 2006 at 12:04:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Dave said...

You're right, I know it.

I swear, for something that's supposed to be "easy" (that being screenwriting), there is more to think about and remember than I've been able to keep in my head in 10 years.

Like so many things, I suspect it can be as deep or as shallow as you like.

Monday, September 11, 2006 at 9:23:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home