Writing On Spec

An award caliber procrastinator discovers a new and dangerous pursuit to keep him from actually writing another script. Why another Blog? I love to talk screenwriting. I love to talk story. I live in Richmond, VA. It's almost easier to get produced than find another screenwriter here. We are the anti-LA.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

From Me To You

It's been awhile and, unfortunately, not much interesting going on. Not much to post outside of the mundane day-to-days. So, I thought I'd pass on something from me to you. These are for WCDixon, who shares so many verses of song. These are two verses that just seemed to hit me in the gut the first time I heard them, and ever since.

#1 - David Wilcox - Show the Way from Big Horizon

You say you see no hope, you say you see no reason
We should dream that the world would ever change
You're saying love is foolish to believe
'Cause there'll always be some crazy with an Army or a Knife
To wake you from your day dream, put the fear back in your life...
Look, if someone wrote a play just to glorify
What's stronger than hate, would they not arrange the stage
To look as if the hero came too late he's almost in defeat
It's looking like the Evil side will win, so on the Edge
Of every seat, from the moment that the whole thing begins

This guy is an incredible songwriter. Check out his site (David Wilcox). You're in for a real treat if you like the type of music.

#2 - Matchbox Twenty - Rest Stop from Mad Season

She said - while you were sleeping
I was listening to the radio
And wondering what you're dreaming when
It came to mind that I didn't care
So I thought - hell if it's over
I had better end it quick
Or I could lose my nerve
Are you listening - can you hear me
Have you forgotten

Talk about getting to the point. It's painful just to hear. Undoubtedly, we've all heard the sentiment, although perhaps not so harshly spoken. The lead singer, Rob Thomas, is a great songwriter. Prolific as hell as well it seems.

Music speaks to so many of us. I know that many folks enjoy listening to music while they write, some can't listen to anything while they write. I've found that, peculiarly, in order to write, I have to put the headphones on so that the music is all I can hear. If I can manage to find some music that stirs a mood in me for the story I'm writing, I just loop the song(s) over and over while I write.

One of my fondest memories was reading the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. There were only 4 books when I read it and for the majority of my reading, I listened to Enya's first couple CDs. They have an ethereal and fantastic feel and along with the fantasy setting of the novel, it was a wonderful experience. For years after finishing the book, whenever I heard particular Enya tunes, I would remember the characters in the story and feel a pang of wanting to share the adventure again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home