Writing On Spec

An award caliber procrastinator discovers a new and dangerous pursuit to keep him from actually writing another script. Why another Blog? I love to talk screenwriting. I love to talk story. I live in Richmond, VA. It's almost easier to get produced than find another screenwriter here. We are the anti-LA.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Life Changing Events

I could put in something easy like the birth of our child, but that would be easy. Instead, it's the band Boston. When I was 17, I heard this band for the first time and they just lit me up. That music installed in me a deep desire to play the guitar. That desire is still with me today - over 20 years later.

I recently picked up the remastered versions of the first two "cds" (actually albums) and was listening to them again. What memories. Well, nothing specific, but a general feeling of "goodness" washed over me as I cranked up the volume (in the house alone) and sang along to some of my favorite music ever.

When you are writing your stories, you should be giving your main character a moment as big or bigger. Your story actually begins when that moment happens (is most often called the inciting incident). It's what makes your character want to change the way their life is going. Makes them want to do something different. It could be any change; however, the end result is that after mulling it over with themself or friends, they do take that plunge and that plunge is a moment they can't take back.

Even in "small" stories, these actions or events take place because it is an essential ingredient in the recipe of Story.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger wcdixon said...

"I understand about indecision,
But I dont care if I get behind
People livin' in competition,
All I want is to have my peace of mind...."

Tom Scholze ruled there for a short time...ruled.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 11:30:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Dave said...

ruled?

Dude...
Party, Don't Be Afraid, Used to Bad News, Feelin' Satisfied, A Man I'll Never Be, Smokin', Hitch A Ride, Something About You, Let Me Take You Home Tonight, Rock and Roll Band... ahh - as solid and strong today as it was 30 years ago. :)

Scholz got a lot of cred, but Brad Delp was the other half of that bonanza, he has an incredible voice - and from what I've read, a great ear as well (to do all the harmonies on the albums).

Friday, August 4, 2006 at 12:30:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home