Writing On Spec

An award caliber procrastinator discovers a new and dangerous pursuit to keep him from actually writing another script. Why another Blog? I love to talk screenwriting. I love to talk story. I live in Richmond, VA. It's almost easier to get produced than find another screenwriter here. We are the anti-LA.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Anonymity on the Internet

I'm in a spiral of defeatism lately, so seeing this stuff just adds fuel to the fire.

Andy Barker, P.I. is a comedy. I didn't watch one episode, even though I knew Jane Espensen was involved. However, something pulled me over to the NBC site, so I watched the pilot. It was humorous, so I ended up watching all of them.

I look over to the forums to verify that it's been canceled (what isn't these days?) and I see this comment:

It is no wonder that there is nothing but Crap to watch on TV these days with idiots like you wanting to keep this kind of trash running. This was the most idiotic show that NBC has put on the air waves in a long time.

Hmm.. That's great. Username means nothing, no personal info, no first or last name, no contact info. Now while you may say "everybody is entitled to their opinion", I don't know that it's really necessary for everybody to voice that opinion. I mean, exactly how does this comment help anybody? Should the creators/producers of the show actually read the forum, this tells them nothing of what they may have done right or wrong on the show.

It says nothing positive about anything and is basically an attack at the previous individual that expressed a desire to see the show continue, the network for it's programming and the creators/writers of the show. Nice. Proud to have this person as a fellow human being.

Anonymity on the internet is just breeding this type of infantile behavior. Suddenly, it's okay to publicly mouth off about anything without providing any type of insight as to why you have your opinion nor take any responsibility for your words. While this is just comments about a TV show, people are doing much worse by making personal attacks towards individuals on their personal blogs.

Keep these comments in mind next time you critique something for another writer - or give your review of a movie to a friend. Likes and dislikes are always in the eyes of the beholder and as such, what you think is bad, might appeal to somebody else. Reporting that it's "crap" or "doesn't work" doesn't help at all. However, if you can articulate what didn't work and why it didn't work for you, that will go a lot further to giving the other person some insight into what the writing/movie is about and also learn something more about you as well.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

they're the same idiots who write in to the TV Guides and ask those moronic questions and comments like

"I really think their's too much sex and violence on Deal Or No Deal"

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 9:15:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home