Writing On Spec

An award caliber procrastinator discovers a new and dangerous pursuit to keep him from actually writing another script. Why another Blog? I love to talk screenwriting. I love to talk story. I live in Richmond, VA. It's almost easier to get produced than find another screenwriter here. We are the anti-LA.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

And the Audience is... ?

I'm going to slide one in behind Scott over at Alligators in a Helicopter.

While his gripe was about screenwriters thinking about who the audience
will be for a script, mine is about Scr(i)pt magazine and one of the
articles.

It's the one where somebody sells for the first time and has something
to say.

Last month there was a pretty cool article that Fun Joel pointed out
about the guy who walks by the artist's workshop all the time. That was
great. It was inspiring how the guy was motivated regardless of if the
artist was working or not - and that the artist probably never even knew
the effect he was having on the writer.

This month - we have an article about the writer of Inside Man. I don't
want to poop on the writer (he seems like a decent guy) nor on the movie
- I haven't seen it yet (but I hear it's good). However, I believe
Scr(i)pt is catering to the non-selling audience out there, not those
that have actually made it.

My gripe is the author's story of how he got to where he is today...

a) Daddy struck it rich in a real estate deal so I figured I'd take a
couple years off and tour Europe
b) He'd always had this "story" in his head, so thought he'd take the
time to put it down - never having written a script before, he read some
scripts and wrote it down.
c) Having finished his script, he sent it to a family friend, who just
happens to be an established producer. He, in turn, helped pull the
script together and get it sold in a week.

Well, shit.

I just can't think of a more inspiring fucking story than that. We all
know (or should know) that Hollywood is an insider town - you have to
know somebody to get somewhere, but you'd think that the story you'd
want to read is the one from the little guy that made it. You wanna hear
about Rudy not the dude that got it all handed to him on a silver platter.

You want to know that hard work and perseverance pay off.

If this was People or Us, I wouldn't be so pissed, but this is a
magazine that's supposed to be boosting my morale not reminding me I'm
not in the right club to make it.

Otherwise, the magazine was a pretty good read.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Peterson said...

You're absolutely right. Surely they could have found some other tale in this guy's life -- it's like the story just skipped the first two acts.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 4:18:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home