Writing On Spec

An award caliber procrastinator discovers a new and dangerous pursuit to keep him from actually writing another script. Why another Blog? I love to talk screenwriting. I love to talk story. I live in Richmond, VA. It's almost easier to get produced than find another screenwriter here. We are the anti-LA.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Inspiration

So I decided to watch a few movies and try and read some script excepts for fun this past week.

Read part of Enemy of the State and then watched the flick. Interesting how the opening is just a little different. I suspect budget as well as a stronger action on the tape.

Ended up watching a couple other flicks and started Match Point - which was highly recommended. I'm iffy on Woody Allen though. Boy, this thing seems SOOO long right now. I'm really feeling like an MTV generation product now when I'm looking at the time and wondering when the story will actually "start". I suspect I'll be more patient when I actually have some time to watch rather than trying to squeeze in a partial viewing (bad Dave, bad Dave).

It's funny how some things group in your life - it's especially noticable if you pay attention.

For instance. As I may have mentioned, I did some research on the 9/11 conspiracy stuff (definately depressing in conspiritual 'our government is out to get us' sort of way). After that, I decided to read Enemy of the State (on a whim, not due to anything else), then watched it - which of course 9/11 has spurred a lot of the technology being batted around in Enemy of the State.

So then I'm perusing the new sites and see an article on a new LCD being developed that can act as a monitor *and* a webcam. So you could do the two-way phone thing over broadband and better. Of course, the comments are - "who's watching you on the other side of your own monitor?"

Also watched Payback with Mel Gibson - that's a great action flick. Also, Domino. Another pretty good flick. Seem to be unintentionally watching a bunch of Tony Scott's films recently.

Hoping to see X3 & Da Vinci code in the near future. Nothing inspires more than actually getting involved again in what you love. It's so easy to put it all aside for other "more important" things. Helps remind me why I even wanted to write a script in the first place. Not because I could do something better, but because I wanted to be part of movies.

4 Comments:

Blogger wcdixon said...

Did you finish Match Point? It was a bit like having to listen to a really long joke but if you stuck with it, the punchline was pretty good.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 1:49:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Dave said...

I'm 18:55 into it and it's painful.

I'm trying to figure out why I'm watching the clock already at less than 20 minutes.

I'm guessing that I could care less about anybody so far (except perhaps the young brit girl who I feel is about to get screwed in some way/shape/form).

I have nothing in common with anybody else.

I guess maybe there's an important lesson in there somewhere.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 3:50:00 PM EDT  
Blogger wcdixon said...

hmmm...well, I've had a thing for Allen's films for a very long time, so perhaps I was more inclined to stick with it...

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 6:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Dave said...

ok, stuck with it. Has to be the worst movie I've seen in a very long time. For me.

Didn't care for the characters, one way or the other, the main character was a jackass from start to finish and then we end up with that fantastic moral, "sometimes you can get away with murder."

I'm sure Woody is saying something with this film, but I'll be damned if I know right now.

I found it predictable and about 60 minutes too long.

The only difference between this an all the other 'cheat on my wife and kill you' stories is that it lacked the utter passion of those. It was all told in that typical British detatched demeaner.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 9:30:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home