Writing On Spec

An award caliber procrastinator discovers a new and dangerous pursuit to keep him from actually writing another script. Why another Blog? I love to talk screenwriting. I love to talk story. I live in Richmond, VA. It's almost easier to get produced than find another screenwriter here. We are the anti-LA.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

When to Write

When to write is always the biggest hurdle for me.

I'm a night person - I can stay up just about all night, problem is, I'm worthless the next morning if I do stay up too late.

It was great when I was younger and could get up and get to work (and then sleepwalk through the first couple hours). I was always good to go after lunch.

These days though it's a lot tougher to roust myself up in the morning. Perhaps it's the fact that my job is largely make my own hours, I really don't *have* to be up and at it early, but if I'm not, I'm up and at it way too late in the evening.

I've read that if finding time is a problem, then shoot for a 30 minute chunk or a regular basis and then as you get into the routine, add time to it.

I really liked wcdixon's idea of getting up 30 minutes earlier and working on writing for a bit, then getting to work.

I've found that - for better or worse, I seem to be able to get focused by putting on a set of headphones and turning up the music (to drown out everything else). Taking 5-10 minutes to adjust, read scripts, blogs, notes, etc. gets me into the writing mood and then I'm good for awhile.

Anybody got any other tips for when to write or getting into the flow?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

when to write? write daily, no really, write something every day.. even if it's just correcting a few missing commas or periods, or jot down part of a scene in your head.. get something down, it keeps your mind fresh on the topic and available should the muse strike and urge you on even more

Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 11:40:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Dave said...

so what do you do when you're not actually "writing" but at the planning/thinking stage? Think an idea?

Curious. I find it much easier to write than to plan.

Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 8:37:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home